Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tuna Towers (SOLD)

this painting kicked my tail.
These boats are part of the charter fishing fleet out of Pirates Cove Marina. Manteo, North Carolina. I thought you might like to see it. Do a search for Pirates Cove. Dare County's first planned unit development. This project brought me to the outer banks in 1987 working on the permits and site development. When I first visited the site there was one building, an old shipstore and bar called Drafty's Tavern. Lots of big fish caught out of this marina. The marina was excavated in 1930 and canals were excavated in 1970 and 1972. Now the project is almost built out with maybe 600+ homes and about as many boat slips if you include the marina.
Oil on canvas 20"X24"
This painting is sold.

2 comments:

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

It's looking gorgeous. I like the way the pier posts and wood slats edges are irregular with little streaks of surprising colors. It's kicking your tail because you're making it sing. And I do mean it this time!

Marilyn M. King said...

I imagine those poles and stairs and small "pieces" were a challenge to keep interesting, simplified and descriptive of the subject all a the same time you have to render the sky in a uniformed way. Whew, it is tiring to just describe it! You did a great job of it! I love the strong bright light hitting those white boat cabins. It really captures the atmosphere of a dock. The color of the pier is kick ass so maybe that's what you were feeling!

Pages

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails