Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oh Canada, Go Canada

A lot of farmers in South Dakota are more than a little pissed off at the Canadians for letting their geese freeload in the Midwest and eat us out of house and field. Rising waters and warmer temperatures means a population explosion of these guys. In an effort to keep the numbers in check the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks has decided to increase the limit of Canada geese that can be shot during hunting season from 1 to 9. Canadas be warned.
If you are confused about the one to shoot, canadas go "honk", Canadians go "aye"
Oil on canvas 12"X36"
This painting is no longer available.
 

3 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Lol How did you know how I speak? I've been honking for years!

We're being invaded by them in Maine as well. I don't know what the solution is. Years ago people would hunt to eat. It may still be the case, but most of us don't need to hunt "to" eat. Putting numbers on the hunt makes it seem less humane. Control and dominance... I feel your pain.

Marilyn M. King said...

Aside from these being pests, let's talk about the painting. I love the forward tilt of the heads and necks and the water is gorgeous. Beautiful painting, Rick.

Autumn Leaves said...

I remember the Canadian Geese being a nuisance when I lived in WA as well. Here in IL they are quite protected. In fact, my daughter's Boxer once splashed to one in the Kankakee River and we had the police called on us for it. Didn't know they were protected and I don't think the dog hurt it (it did look like it played dead and zipped at a fast clip down river on the current looking dead the whole while); in fact, I don't think the dog even touched it! They float in flotillas on the Illinois River as well. One gorgeous painting of them here, Rick!

Pages

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails